Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pete or Repete?


Remember that joke you hated when you were a child...who was left in the boat, Pete or Repete? And inevitably every time you fell for it, saying that "Repete" was the one left, of course starting the entire joke over again! Well, living in my home right now is sort of like being stuck on that boat, only Pete is not an option, Repete is the lone sailor!


You see, Laineybug is quite the chatter box these days. And that's putting it mildly! I laugh now when I think back to just a few short months ago when her daddy would ask me almost daily, "when is she going to start talking to me?" He was concerned because Sheldon was such an early talker, that he expected the same from her as well. I told him often that she would get it, and he would then be asking, when is she going to stop?


Well, that day has come! Riding in the car this weekend, with her right behind daddy, he looked over at me and said " I don't think I can do this all the way to Florida!" He was referring to our trip to Disney this Fall, which we are driving too! She sat behind him chatting all the way around town, often non-stop, demanding to be talked back too. God most definitely has given our sweet daughter the gift of gab! She on average repeats everything she says 3 times before she stops saying it, such as, " daddy drive car, daddy drive car, daddy drive car?" And sometimes, even once you tell her, "yes, daddy drive car," you get to hear her version a time or two more. And if you don't confirm what she is telling you, then yes, you are sure to hear it again until you do!


I often take a deep breath and laugh as she is talking to me...she looks at me with her big blue eyes, and beautiful smile, chattering away, repeating everything as she goes, waiting for me to repeat it back. I still don't understand everything that comes out of her sweet mouth, which to her, brings a new level of frustration. When that occurs, she makes sure our conversation is not finished until I clearly understand what she's trying to tell me, and I of course repeat it back to her!


So, yes indeed, Laineybug has more than made up for her slightly delayed verbal skills. I often remind my husband when she's talking his ear off, " remember when you used to worry about that not happening?" Well, she's talking now, and it's time to sit and cherish every moment of it, for before we know it, she won't want to talk to us all day, she'll be busy with friends and life, and all we'll get is a few quick words now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment